What's the process for getting a NIF with Bordr?
Here's an outline of our process:
1. Prepare the following documents:
- Copy of passport or European ID card (PDF). Your signature must be visible.
- Proof of address (PDF) in your home country outside of Portugal. This can be the first page of a bank statement, a utility bill, or a driver's license.
- If you are requesting a NIF on behalf of a minor under the age of 18, you will need to submit a scanned copy of the minor's birth certificate as well.
2. Place an order at https://bordr.io/
3. Sign Power of Attorney
- After you place your order, we will review your documents and generate a Power of Attorney that will be sent to you via email. You will need to print, sign, scan, and return the document to us via email.
4. Bordr submits your request with the Portuguese tax office
5. Receive your NIF
- You will receive an email containing your NIF number and NIF document attached. The NIF document will act as your proof of NIF anytime anyone asks you for it.
6. Receive your password for the Financas website
- Bordr will request the password for you, which will be mailed to us. We will then forward that to you so that you can log into your account. This takes about 3-4 weeks since the password is sent by mail.
7. Update your Portuguese address & cancel our law firm's fiscal representation services
- Once you have become a Portugal tax resident, you can update your address with the tax office to cancel Bordr's fiscal representation fees. See this article for more information - How do I cancel my fiscal representation with Bordr?
- We include 12 months of fiscal representation when you order your NIF. At the end of that 12 month period of time, your fiscal representation will automatically be renewed at a rate of $150/year. As long as you provide proof that you have updated your address with the tax office within those first 12 months and notify us, you will not be charged.